300+ military drones & Iran links: Did Cuba plan a strike on a US naval base?


300+ military drones & Iran links: Did Cuba plan a strike on a US naval base?

The administration of US President Donald Trump is increasingly viewing Cuba as a potential security threat after classified intelligence suggested Havana had acquired more than 300 military drones and discussed possible drone warfare scenarios involving American targets, according to a report by Axios.The report, citing classified intelligence and senior US officials, said Cuban authorities had recently discussed plans that could involve attacks on the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, US military vessels and even Key West in Florida in the event of escalating hostilities.A senior US official cited by Axios said that Washington was concerned about “those types of technologies being that close” to the United States, particularly amid the alleged presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana and Cuba’s growing defence ties with Russia and Iran.“When we think about those types of technologies being that close, and a range of bad actors from terror groups to drug cartels to Iranians to the Russians, it’s concerning,” the official said.“It’s a growing threat.”

CIA chief visits Cuba amid growing pressure

CIA director John Ratcliffe travelled to Cuba on Thursday and warned Cuban officials against engaging in hostilities.He also urged Havana to abandon its “totalitarian government” to end crippling US sanctions.A CIA official quoted by Axios said Ratcliffe made clear that “Cuba can no longer serve as a platform for adversaries to advance hostile agendas in our hemisphere”.“The Western Hemisphere cannot be our adversaries’ playground”, the official added.US justice department plans to unseal an indictment against former Cuban leader Raúl Castro over the 1996 downing of two aircraft operated by the Miami-based aid group Brothers to the Rescue.According to Reuters, US officials had earlier indicated plans to indict Castro, a move that would sharply escalate tensions between Washington and Havana.

Cuba rejects allegations

Cuban foreign minister Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla accused the US of fabricating a “fraudulent case” to justify sanctions and possible military intervention.“Cuba neither threatens nor desires war,” Rodriguez said in a social media post, adding that the country prepares itself to confront external aggression under its “right to legitimate self-defence recognised by the UN Charter”.Cuba’s embassy also issued a statement on X saying the island had the right to defend itself against external aggression. However, it did not directly deny possessing attack drones.

Drone warfare fears and Russia ties

Cuba has been acquiring attack drones from Russia and Iran since 2023 and storing them at strategic locations across the island. The report also alleged that Cuban officials were studying Iran’s tactics in resisting US pressure.The concerns come amid heightened focus on drone warfare following Iran’s use of drones during recent tensions with the US and Israel in the Middle East.Axios further reported that US officials believe thousands of Cuban soldiers have fought alongside Russian forces in Ukraine, with some bringing back knowledge about the effectiveness of drone warfare.Despite the concerns, US officials said they do not believe Cuba poses an imminent military threat comparable to the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.One senior official said, “No one’s worried about fighter jets from Cuba,” but added that the island’s proximity to the US remained a major concern.



Source link