
King Charles III has returned to public engagements following a brief hospital stay due to side effects from his ongoing cancer treatment.
The 76-year-old monarch attended an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle on Tuesday, marking his first official appearance since being hospitalised last week, reported The New York Post.
Buckingham Palace confirmed that the King had suffered “temporary side effects” from his treatment and was admitted to the London Clinic for observation.
He was discharged on Thursday evening the previous week and spent the weekend resting at Highgrove, his Gloucestershire estate, before resuming his royal duties.
His hospitalisation led to the cancellation of several planned engagements, including a visit to Birmingham.
The palace described the postponement as a “precautionary measure” taken on medical advice. “His Majesty would like to send his apologies to all those who may be inconvenienced or disappointed as a result,” the palace said in a statement.
Despite his recent health setback, King Charles is expected to maintain a busy schedule.
According to the BBC, he will host credential ceremonies for foreign ambassadors and attend events celebrating Papua New Guinea’s 50th anniversary of independence, as well as an aviation charity event.
His weekly audience with Prime Minister Keir Starmer is also set to take place as scheduled.
Looking ahead, the King and Queen Camilla are preparing for a state visit to Italy next week. While the visit will proceed as planned, a scheduled meeting with Pope Francis has been postponed due to the pontiff’s health issues.
The trip coincides with the couple’s 20th wedding anniversary on April 9.
The palace has said that King Charles remains committed to his royal responsibilities despite his ongoing treatment. Aides have described his public role as beneficial to his well-being, allowing him to maintain a sense of normalcy amid his health challenges, reported Marca.com.